As of January 2015, our congregation consists of about 81 members. Although not large, our congregation has the usual mix of people found in a church - old and young, married and single.
Although diverse in many ways, our members have several things in common. First, we each confess that we are sinners, in absolute need of God's saving grace. Second, we each confess that our
salvation is found in Christ alone, on the basis of His shed blood. Third, we each confess that Christ is the Lord of our life. Though we continue to struggle against sin in our own lives and hearts,
we seek God's grace to hate sin and to live more and more as His law and Word requires.
In several areas, we strive to be a distinctive part of Christ's universal body.
- First, our teaching is based on the inspired Holy Scripture as summarized in the three ecumenical (universally Christian) creeds and three Reformed creeds. The ecumenical creeds are the Apostles'
Creed, the Nicene Creed, and the Athansian Creed. The Reformed creeds are the Heidelberg Catechism, Belgic Confession, and Canons of Dordt. Based on the Scriptures asexplained in these creeds, we
love and teach the doctrines of sinful humanity's absolute need for God's grace, of God's sovereign grace in saving sinners, of God's particular love for His people, and of the unconditional
character of God's covenant with His people in Jesus Christ.
- Second, our church government is also based on the principles of the Bible as set forth in the Church Order adopted by the Synod of Dordt in 1618-1619. Although the Protestant Reformed Churches
in America have made some changes to that Church Order to fit our times and circumstances, we use the substance of that Church Order. Accordingly, our church has three sorts of officebearers in it:
the elders who govern the church, the pastor who teaches, and the deacons who both collect and distribute alms for the poor and who arrange care for the earthly needs of God's people in other
- Third, in our worship we aim to praise and thank God for His salvation, and to enjoy the friendship that He has provided us in Christ. Understanding that worship consists of sinners coming into
the presence of the holy God, we strive for reverence, following the directive of the Spirit in Psalm 96:9: "O worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness." Some would consider our worship more
formal, or traditional, than the worship of many today. This follows from our conviction that Jehovah cares about how we worship Him - by which we don't mean that in every respect our worship is the
only right way to worship, but we mean that the holy God does not consider fellowship with sinners to be a casual matter.
We strive to be distinctive in these areas, not primarily because our church began by emphasizing these distinctives, nor because generations past though it right, but because we are convinced
that God calls His people to be distinctive in these areas.
The Protestant Reformed Churches in America began in 1924, when the Christian Reformed Church of North America officially adopted Three Points of Common Grace. Revs.
Herman Hoeksema (Eastern Ave. CRC, Grand Rapids, MI), George Ophoff (Hope CRC, Grand Rapids, MI), and Henry Danhof (First CRC, Kalamazoo, MI) disagreed with these three points and would not sign a
statement that they upheld these points.
Although they were deposed by their respective classes (Rev. Hoeksema by Classis Grand Rapids East, and Revs. Ophoff and Danhof by Classis Grand Rapids West), many in their
congregations agreed with them. These three congregations and their pastors banded together to become the Protesting Christian Reformed Churches, which name was changed in 1926 to the
Protestant Reformed Churches.
While the word “Reformed” in the name Protestant Reformed Churches indicates that these churches stand in the line of the Great Reformation of the 1500s, the name “Protestant”
reflects on the original name, “Protesting Christian Reformed.”
Over the next decade, more congregations throughout the United States were added to the new denomination. Most of these consisted of former members of the Christian
Reformed Church, who had come to agree with the position of Revs. Hoeksema and Ophoff (Rev. Danhof left the Protestant Reformed Churches in 1927 to pastor an independent congregation).
In 1936, the Protestant Reformed Churches called and sent out their first home missionary, Rev. Bernard Kok. After working in Illinois briefly, he labored in Edgerton,
MN, with the fruit that our congregation was organized on April 11, 1938, with 13 families. Our first meeting place was the local community center.
In November 1938, God sent our first pastor, Rev. William Verhil. During his pastorate we worshiped in the community center, we built the church building and
parsonage which we still use today. Also, in 1940 the members of our congregation began a Society for Protestant Reformed Education - which bore fruit in 1950, when the doors of the Free
Christian School opened for the first time. Rev. Verhil’s pastorate ended on April 1, 1943, when God suddenly called him to glory by means of a heart attack.
Rev. Gerrit Vos was our second pastor, serving from 1943-1948. When he left, Rev. Peter DeBoer accepted our call, and served the Protestant Reformed congregation for
In 1953, the Protestant Reformed Churches experienced a significant split, in which they lost more than half of their total membership, and many entire congregations.
Our own congregation, which had grown to 40 families and over 200 members, was also cut in half. As was true throughout the denomination, so here, both groups claimed to be the true continuing
Protestant Reformed Church. For the next ten years we worshiped in the community center, while the “other group” possessed the church building.
In 1953, our fourth pastor, Rev. Herman Veldman, arrived, and stayed until 1959. The next year, Rev. Bernard Woudenberg accepted our call. During his pastorate
(which ended in 1965), the “other group” returned to the Christian Reformed Church, as did “other groups” throughout the country. Consequently, in 1963 we again took possession of our church
building and parsonage.
During the years 1966 to 2010, seven pastors served us, each arriving relatively soon after the other. They were Revs. George Lanting (1966-1974), James Slopsema
(1974-1982), Jon Smith (1982-1985), Michael DeVries (1985-1995), Allen Brummel (1995-1998), Daniel Kleyn (1998-2005) and Dennis Lee (2006-2010). Our longest vacancy in our history was from July
2010 to July 2012, when Rev. Douglas Kuiper, arrived. In Summer 2017 Rev. Kuiper left to be a professor at the Protestant Reformed Seminary. We called Candidate Matthew De Boer and he was
ordained September 2017 with his inaugural sermon being October 1, 2017
God called four of our sons to the ministry in the Protestant Reformed Churches: Revs. Rodney Miersma (ordained 1971), Allen Brummel (ordained 1995), Nathan Brummel (ordained
1999), and Heath Bleyenberg (ordained 2008). Rev. Miersma is now retired; Rev. Nathan Brummel is a minister in the United Reformed Churches; Rev. Allen Brummel currently serves in Sioux Falls,
SD; and Rev. Heath Bleyenberg currently serves in the West Michigan area.
Rev. Allen Brummel has the distinction of being a son of the congregation, a former pastor, and a former missionary called by us to labor in Sioux Falls. In 2007, our
Synod approved calling a man to labor in the Sioux Falls area. Rev. A. Brummel, who was serving our congregation in South Holland, IL at the time, accepted our call. In 2010, the
Heritage PRC of Sioux Falls was organized.